Welcome to Apache HBase
When Would I Use Apache HBase?
Use Apache HBase when you need random, realtime read/write access to your Big Data. This project's goal is the hosting of very large tables -- billions of rows X millions of columns -- atop clusters of commodity hardware. Apache HBase is an open-source, distributed, versioned, non-relational database modeled after Google's Bigtable: A Distributed Storage System for Structured Data by Chang et al. Just as Bigtable leverages the distributed data storage provided by the Google File System, Apache HBase provides Bigtable-like capabilities on top of Hadoop and HDFS.
- Linear and modular scalability.
- Strictly consistent reads and writes.
- Automatic and configurable sharding of tables
- Automatic failover support between RegionServers.
- Convenient base classes for backing Hadoop MapReduce jobs with Apache HBase tables.
- Easy to use Java API for client access.
- Block cache and Bloom Filters for real-time queries.
- Query predicate push down via server side Filters
- Thrift gateway and a REST-ful Web service that supports XML, Protobuf, and binary data encoding options
- Extensible jruby-based (JIRB) shell
- Support for exporting metrics via the Hadoop metrics subsystem to files or Ganglia; or via JMX
Where Can I Get More Information?
The HBase distribution includes cryptographic software. See the export control notice here
May 7th, 2015 HBaseCon2015 in San Francisco
February 17th, 2015 HBase meetup around Strata+Hadoop World in San Jose
January 15th, 2015 HBase meetup @ AppDynamics in San Francisco
November 20th, 2014 HBase meetup @ WANdisco in San Ramon
October 27th, 2014 HBase Meetup @ Apple in Cupertino
October 15th, 2014 HBase Meetup @ Google on the night before Strata/HW in NYC
September 25th, 2014 HBase Meetup @ Continuuity in Palo Alto
August 28th, 2014 HBase Meetup @ Sift Science in San Francisco
July 17th, 2014 HBase Meetup @ HP in Sunnyvale
June 5th, 2014 HBase BOF at Hadoop Summit, San Jose Convention Center
May 5th, 2014 HBaseCon2014 at the Hilton San Francisco on Union Square
March 12th, 2014 HBase Meetup @ Ancestry.com in San Francisco